Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Reds Sign Orlando Cabrera

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Reds Sign Orlando Cabrera

    I'm really starting to get faith, if they go get a left fielder I may be on cloud nine.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member 7teen's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2009
    Posts
    458
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Reds Sign Orlando Cabrera

    I'm not a big fan of the signing. I'd rather see Janish get a chunk of the SS duties. But as long as Dusty doesn't bat Wee Willy Taveras #1 and Orlando #2, we may be alright.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Reds Sign Orlando Cabrera

    Cabrera>Janish imo. Janish without question has a better glove though, I'll be fine as long as Cabrera gets most of the starts and Janish comes in for late inning defense. I don't think Willy Taveras will be on the opening day lineup card. I do think Cabrera bats second though, and I'm ok with that.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Reds Sign Orlando Cabrera

    Who do you think they trot out there on opening day 7teen? At this point LF is a huge question mark to me.

    C: Ramon Hernandez
    1B: Joey Votto
    2B: Brandon Phillips
    SS: Orlando Cabrera
    3B: Scott Rolen
    RF: Jay Bruce
    CF: Drew Stubbs
    LF: ?????

    To me, the rotation ends up:

    Arroyo
    Harang
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Owings

    Obviously, the fifth spot is up in the air with Volquez's injury. I like Owings here for 5 to 6 starts until Chapman (I hope) shows he is ready to go.

    The bullpen is going to be interesting, once you get past the big dogs. For all of Dusty's faults, it's really hard not to credit him some on the pen. It went from a nightmare to possibly the strongest link on the team last season.

    CL: Fransico Cordero
    Setup: Nick Masset/Jared Burton
    Lefty/Setup: Arthur Rhodes
    Middle: Daniel Herrera/Mike Lincoln (he needs to be designated for assignment, totally worthless at the major league level at this point)

    I think one more pitcher will make the team and go to long relief, competing for those spots are Wood, Maloney, Fisher, and Chapman.

    That leaves six spots one of which will be the starting LF, I personally am rooting for them to re-sign Gomes and platoon him with ****erson. If you take those two that cuts it down to four, unfortunately Taveras will make the team. The reaming 3 spots have two that are stone cold locks in Ryan Hannigan and Paul Janish. Rosales will probably get the last spot but I've had my fill of him, sure he hustles, but he couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag. I'd rather see them take another outfielder and put Heisey on the team. Overall, not a bad squad, it is the best team they have fielded in several years. Like always, one injury could bite them hard. They can't afford for Votto and Bruce to miss extended periods of time again.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member 7teen's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2009
    Posts
    458
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Reds Sign Orlando Cabrera

    Id say you're looking right now.

    The x-factor remains what will Dusty Baker do. His love affair with Willy Taveras/Corey Patterson scares me that he'll give Willy another shot.

    I also wish he'd bat Rolen behind Votto instead of Phillips. I'd also rather see Hanigan start behind the plate, but that probably won't happen either.

    There are also reports that the Reds are in the running to re-sign Gomes. A Gomes/****erson platoon in LF would be fine with me.

    I'd expect to see the lineup be:

    1. Stubbs CF
    2. Cabrera SS
    3. Votto 1b
    4. Phillips 2b
    5. Rolen 3b
    6. Bruce RF
    7. Hernandez C
    8. ****erson LF

    I'd prefer to see it:

    1. Stubbs CF
    2. Cabrera SS
    3. Votto 1b
    4. Rolen 3b
    5. Bruce RF
    6. Phillips 2b
    7. Gomes LF
    8. Hanigan C

    I'd say you're also right on the pitching side. I figure Chapman will see a year in the minors this year and be back for the rotation in 2011 with Cueto and Volquez. If a few more of our young guys keep performing well, I'm excited for 2011. If Heisey, Frazier, Alonso, etc.. continue to produce, we may be able to compete for a long time if the rotation stays healthy with Cueto, volquez, Chapman.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Reds Sign Orlando Cabrera

    2011 is the year everybody associated with the Reds from ownership to fans have been eyeing for quite some time. You hear that Dusty wants to move Alonso behind the plate? I'm in favor of putting him in LF and leaving Votto alone. Of course most want to see Votto out in LF.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •